Friday, August 27, 2010

Cultural: Beauty and the Beast

Thursday night, I headed to Beauty and the Beast. I had very high hopes for it and was immediately loving it as they stuck very close to the script of the movie, which I appreciated. But then it happened. They started singing EVERYTHING. Nearly the entire movie was sung. The classic Beauty and the Beast songs are incredible and timeless. Yet, the dribble that they sung inbetween the "real songs" was AWFUL. They turned it into a near Opera.

We did move up seats during intermission, which was a huge highlight! They also did a great rendition of Kill the Beast, Be our Guest and the Gaston song. The cast was fine, not great, and not awful. The best character was probably Gaston's sidekick.

All in all I am not overly impressed with it. I would have much rather rented the movie and had it be a sing-a-long, then go to see the play. I had a fun time, but would not go again. It ain't no Wicked.

No comments:

Post a Comment