Monday, August 23, 2010

Movie: Hot Tub Time Machine


This movie was about as exciting as most people would have expected. It's kinda like Hangover, without any cute guys to watch. While I adore John Cusack, I do not watch his movies because he is a babe. I watch them because he is seemingly a good actor. This movie made me question that a bit.

The movie is about three guys and a random unexplained nephew of one of the guys. They used to be friends and still pretend to be, but in actuality they do not hang out like they did as kids. One of them tries to commit suicide, so to make him feel better, they decide to go back to their old haunt, a ski lodge. When they get there it is decrepit and outdated, not the party it was 25 years ago. After hours of non action in the room, they discover the hot tub and decide to drink inside. Something malfunctions in the hot tub, and they go from 2010 to 1986. Throughout the movie, even though we are looking at them as men, we are to believe(and are shown through mirrors) that the other characters see them as kids.

By the end it justifies some of what it set out to do, but mostly was just an excuse to make a guy movie. My favorite character, and the part that made the movie not seem completely ridiulous was the character of April, played by Lizzy Caplan(who was on Related, and Janis in Mean Girls). I enjoyed her because she was a free spirit, and was an archetype of someone I'd like to look up to.

Since the intent of this is to ensure that I am trying to balance and be reflective, I find I did glean some from the movie.
  • You can always change your mind
  • Nothing is predestined
  • It's up to you to prevent forest fires
So maybe the last one came from a commercial and not this movie, but the moral was a nice wrap up and gave me an excape for a few hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment