Friday, October 15, 2010

Cultural: Iph

The bay area, and theater groups in general around the country are trying to reach out to a younger audience. Therefore they created Free theater night across the Bay area. I missed it a few weeks ago, but I knew I wanted to capitalize on it this week, especially since I really had nothing cultural going on this week. So I convinced my roommate's girlfriend Geebi to go. Miquila wound up meeting up as well!

Iph... is the story of Agamemnon's internal and external struggle as he's been told that to protect Greece he needs to sacrafice his oldest daughter. The story is originally told by Euripidies, and much of the dialogue was hard to understand. However, it also had a social justice slant, about the need or lack thereof for war.

Overall, it was interesting. It was a production put on by an African American troupe and a women's troupe, so they were incredibly creative in their casting and musical selections. Geebi hated it, and Miquila was pretty neutral. I thought it was pretty good, especially for the fact that it was free!

No comments:

Post a Comment