Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cultural: Torah study

Yes, you read that right. I, went, to, Torah study.

My friend Julie has been inspiring my Jewishness in me, east bay style and encouraging me to go with her to Moishe House, which is yet another option to explore your Jewishness for young people. I was super wary at first, especially beacuse the first thing we attended was a dress up shabbat dinner, but its really growing on me. The Jewishness that they focus on is not the typical money grubbing Jewish, or the caddy uppity Jewishness, but this back to the earth, spiritual, sustainable inward Judiasm, which I wish I had learned about and understood as a child. It's definitely way hippie dippie ,and if I would have found them my first year, I would have not been down whatsoever, but now I'm super into it! I have even met guys there whom I actually find interesting and potentially date-able, which is also a first with me and Jewish guys. They all seem super down to earth. Plus, its male heavy which is nice as well. Overall, I am super impressed!

Today, after dinner we read two chapters in the Torah, of Moses in the desert about to receive the commandments and then had discussion on how it affected us in our lives today. The leader of the group connected the parsha to the idea of listening and active listening at that, something I am very poor at, and made be really reflective about it. Plus, I was able to connect my history and knowledge of Ancient cultures, to a new kind of spirituality I've been developing.

Definitely a culture experience, to actually flock towards a Jewish spirituality! It's definitely a first for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment