Monday, January 17, 2011

Reading: On the road


My friend Todd gave me this book, as he said it was one of his favorites. In fact, Jack Kerouac is a hero of sorts to him. So far I am a big fan of its lyricism, stream of consciousness travel writing. Essentially he, with a bunch of his buddies defined this era, that has alot of romance for me. It is called the Beatnik generation, and essentially includes people who have a high intellect, but reject materialism and status, who believed in living in the moment and focused on Eastern religion and experimentation with everything from drugs to sex. I mean come on what's not to like?

So I've gotten to the bit where he leaves San Francisco. I'm especially enjoying reading it as I go to and from the city on the Bart. It feels like thats the proper setting for the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment