Monday, September 20, 2010

Cooking: Chili and Cornbread

Knowing I stressed myself out a bit by waiting until the last minute, I decided to try to get at least one category done a day, knowing I'm planning to do two on Sunday. So I went to my friend Peter and asked him what he would make. He said cornbread, so cornbread I made. I also found that Chili went well with Cornbread, so I figured I'd do a 2-fer.

I wound up getting a chili packet of spices instead which made it take about half as long. I also didn't use any beans, but otherwise it was pretty much the same recipie. And now I have enough for days....

Prep Time:
15 Min
Cook Time:
40 Min
Ready In:
55 Min

Servings (Help)

Calculate

Original Recipe Yield 9 servings

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan.
  2. Melt butter in large skillet. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Quickly add eggs and beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda and stir into mixture in pan. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until well blended and few lumps remain. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


Prep Time:
15 Min
Cook Time:
45 Min
Ready In:
1 Hr

Servings (Help)

Calculate

Original Recipe Yield 8 servings

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 (28 ounce) can canned crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (16 ounce) can canned kidney beans - drained, rinsed, and mashed
  • 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

  1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Place turkey in the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Stir in onion, and cook until tender.
  2. Pour water into the pot. Mix in tomatoes, kidney beans, and garlic. Season chili powder, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 198 | Total Fat: 7.2g | Cholesterol: 42mg

No comments:

Post a Comment