Sunday, September 26, 2010

Reading: Prep

I'm nearly done with the book. As my 9th grade teacher said, we read to learn about ourselves. And man, am I ashamed to admit that this 14 year old protagonist is pretty much the same person as me!! She doesn't trust anyone, yet is constantly trying to impress everyone. She won't go to things, unless everyone makes it clear how much she is wanted there. She worries constantly about everything. She even had her first kiss with the most popular guy in school.

It is crazy how similar we are. The problem is she feels like an outsider, which is the main theme, because she is a scholarship student at a prep school. What is my excuse? Why do I in new situations feel like an outsider? Why do I still react to new situations the way a 14 year old does? Why don't I trust people? Why do I allow the unspoken social ladder bother me. Even in her story, she randomly speaks as her adult self and remarks how silly alot of her behavior is. From a rational perspective I totally get how silly my behavior is. That doesn't mean it changes it....

No comments:

Post a Comment